Who we are
The Open Access Working Group is part of the Open Knowledge Foundation, which promotes open knowledge in the digital age.
We are a growing group of people who are dissatisfied with the fragmentation of the open access movement and with the abuse of the term “open access” by publishers and individuals without adherence to one clear definition.
Our goal is to re-establish open access according to the Budapest Open Access Initiative (BOAI) definition, and to promote global open access
To this end we will:
- Provide a focal point for the different open access initiatives by adhering to one basic definition for Open Access
- Find (or liberate) BOAI-compliant material, and show how it can be re-used.
- Build, stimulate and aggregate open-science communities centered around themes
- Provide a social platform for academics and citizens for discussion, collaboration and sharing of knowledge:
- Build a new generation of tools to maximise the value of open access publishing